Hong Kong Egg Waffles 雞蛋仔

Just for you PeanutButter&Jenny!
Anyways I had the recipe on my old food blogs and pictures, but since I deleted them I can't link them to the post. I'm sorry that I'm recycling my photos here.
My demented looking egg waffles.
     William Sonoma's egg waffle pan is so incredibly expensive. Boy oh boy, I feel bad for my dad. My mother and I bought the pan for him for father's day. But it seems like I eat egg waffles more often than he does. I guess we used the father's day excuse as a way of justify getting the pan. Don't get me wrong, my dad's loves egg waffles too, but he just doesn't enjoy eating them so often.

     Egg waffles are called 雞蛋仔(gai dan zai) are basically translated into baby eggs ~ eggettes. They are the best down the busy streets in Hong Kong. Sadly, the old street vendors-hawkers who cooked the  雞蛋仔 with coals weren't out on the streets anymore. Apparently the law prohibits coal stoves since it's dangerous. I guess using the electric waffle press is more convenient though just not as authentic (imo).
     The first time I ate 雞蛋仔 was when I went to Hong Kong for the first time. I was eight years old and such a skinny silly creature I have no idea how I was able to stuff all the food that my parents told me that I ate. I remember telling my mom that there was probably no point of eating the eggettes because "it's just waffle and pancakes mixed together." My parent's bought it anyways. It's crazy how wrong I was,  雞蛋仔 = amazing!! Now I always eat egg waffles as a snack when I roam the streets when I'm visiting family in HKG. It's so amazing. Crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle. Also, hearing vendors holler at people trying to get the attention and customer while snacking on egg waffles and bargaining... such a cultural experience.

During winter break, we had a little hangout playing Slamwich, eating, and cooking the 雞蛋仔. It was all chill and cool. When we were making the egg waffles this time though, I struggled with taking out the as an entire sheet. It was always stuck! =( However, my awesome friends were talented with cooking these 雞蛋仔's and so they came off the pan perfectly and beautifully.Yum. Just so H. can be happy, I'll have to say that she's the best cook ever since she gets the eggettes all perfectly shaped (at the time that I'm posting this, maybe J. will create crazy awesome 雞蛋仔 after this post).

Chocolate eggettes. I don't remember whether A or F made this one. Ain't it just a beaut? (Please read in southern cowboyish accent)
I guess making 雞蛋仔 for a hang out is exciting enough to do more often in the future...

Recipe
adapted from Dessert First Girl

1 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp custard powder
2 tbsp tapioca starch
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2/3 or 3/4 cup sugar (if you enjoy super sweet eggettes you can increase the sugar to 1 cup)
2 tbsp evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp vegetable oil
** options: 1 1/2 tbsp matcha powder or cocoa powder

Whisk everything together. Make sure there is no lumps so that it's super smooth. Allow for the batter to sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour, even better if you let it sit for 6 hours. I prefer letting the batter sit overnight since I find that the texture and taste is the best. Before cooking, take the batter out for 30min to bring it to room temp.
Heat both iron pans on medium low heat (3 or 4) and spray with vegetable oil (or brush), fill 3 inner rings of the pan with batter (pour in right in the middle). Don't over fill otherwise it'll over flow. Right when you fill it up, quickly put on the other side of the iron. Flip, shake (do the wiggle jiggle), and set down and let it cook on that side for 1.5-2 mins. Flip again, back to the original side and let it cook for another 1.5-2 mins. Open up and take out with chopsticks! Metal will scratch the coating. The first one will be your test trail. If it needs to be more browned and cooked increase the heat setting, if it was too burnt please turn down the heat.

** I recommend doubling/tripling the recipe when you have friends over. The eggettes will disappear in a flash. **

William Sonoma's egg waffle press isn't as amazing as the ones in Hong Kong. The egg wells in the presses in Hong Kong are bigger in size, which allows for a more chewy spongey center. But the press from William Sonoma's will work fine.

That's all for now =)

Comments

Popular Posts