Hipster {extremely sour} Lime Berry Tart


     This past Thursday, I volunteered for K's class's in-school field trip from the Glenbow Museum. The presenter came into the classroom with her heavy trunk of artifacts when I was sitting there alone studying while the kids were out on their recess. I offered to help and she declined, that was fine because it could be possible that I might ruin the artifacts with my clumsiness, but to rid the air of awkwardness I tried to start a conversation with her which FAILED as her tone and the look she gave me was clearly one of "superiority" and that she was content sitting in her corner. Okay, maybe I didn't see things clearly as I didn't have my vision enhancers with me and I'm a very awkward person myself tend to hide in my turtle shell while making judgmental thoughts. So anyways we ended up sitting through recess in silence.
     Since the kids were learning about the Inuits, I thought the presentation would be interesting. Oh boy was I wrong about that. Ms. Presenter... let's just say I struggled not to yawn and fall asleep, the papa volunteer was getting lost, and the mama volunteer was being much too patient to be normal. I think K was amused at watching the volunteers' slowly changing expressions to the presentation. I applaud the children's enthusiasm and that they didn't get too bored. Also... sadly the artifacts that were brought into the classroom were terribly uninteresting. I felt bad for the kids because I was pretty sure that I got more interesting artifacts back in elementary. Oh well, once she left, the kids totally made my day. There were a couple boys who were just hilarious =) And the two kids who had the nicest blue eyes ever.... way too cute.

Key Lime Tart from "Hipster" Bakery
     Anyways I got a thank-you tart from a "hipster" bakery which was across the road from a hipster filled comic store. (Thanks again for the tart!) The tart was a key lime berry tart with meringue on top. I shared it with my parents and this was what we concluded:
It was absolutely delicious except for there wasn't enough berries for the berry part of the tart. My mother also found it a tad too sweet for her liking.


     So after eating a berry lacking tart, I decided to make the tart myself with more berries. I pretty much hoped that what I was going to make would be less sweet, a tad more tart (sour). Sadly because I didn't want to use as much condensed milk in the recipe, I mixed in sour cream and a couple more eggs than what the recipe called for, this combined with over baking made a really icky interior texture. It didn't turn out smooth and creamy. I also decided not to waste the limes I had so I squeezed it til every little drop of juice was in the tart. Yes I did this to the regular limes from Superstore, because key limes are too expensive. The taste was fine though, there were no complaints about it being too sweet, so all I need to do is to figure out how to adjust the ingredients so that it'll end out with the smooth interior it was suppose to have.


     AND GUESS WHAT? I made the crust using browned butter. It was absolutely delightful.

Hipster Lime Berry Tart

Crust:
1/2 cup unsalted butter (browned)
3 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon oil
1-2 tablespoon sugar
pinch of salt
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cup AP flour

Combine water, oil, sugar and salt together in a bowl, microwave and attempt to dissolve the sugar and salt. It's fine to skip the microwaving step. Add the hot brown butter into the bowl and add enough flour for the dough to be workable. The dough will be super soft. Press into a tart pan. Pre-bake for 5 mins in a 375F preheated oven. Cool and brush with egg white to seal. Set aside to completely cool. ( I skipped this prebaking step so that was why I over baked the tart. I was afraid that the crust wouldn't be completely cooked.)

Custard: (I'm going to post what I did and what'll I'd change next time)
1 can of condense milk
1/2- 1 cup sour cream  a few tbsp on sour cream
Juice of 2 regular limes 1/2 cup only
Zest of 2 regular limes
5 egg yolks    3 egg yolks
Raspberries

Preheat oven to 375F. Beat yolks till pale yellow, add the condensed milk and beat. Then add the sour cream and the limes. Put as many berries as desired on the bottom of the prepared tart dough. Cover with the custard and gently tap away the air bubbles.
Bake for 25-30 mins 15-20 mins. Let it cool. Put a meringue layer on top if so desired. Or use whipped cream.
Extra filling for the store bought tart shells!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts