Quinoa Pancakes

I woke up this morning and weighed myself. Feeling light headed, with a stuffy nose and cough it felt like I wasn't up to par... I always weigh myself when I'm feeing sick to see how badly it's affecting me. So stepping onto the scale I found myself 3 lbs lighter than yesterday. No na-ah, this ain't healthy. I decided that I needed to fatten up and eat some good food so then I could tone up and slim down if I really wanted later.



Checking out the pantry I noticed the unopened bag of Quinoa flour that I've recently purchased. Not wanting to eat oatmeal (are you suprised??), cereal, toast, congee or soup noodles stuff, I decided that I was going to make delicious quinoa (pronouced "keen-wah") pancakes.

And was that just one amazing decision. The pancakes were so fluffy and moist. Served with frozen berries with a splash of maple syrup microwaved til piping hot made it even better.

With the left over pancakes, I put them in the freexer with wax paper inbetween so they don't freeze stuck to each other. I know that I'll be having them tomorrow for breakfast ;)

Quinoa Pancakes
Adapted from One Hungry Mama's Coconut Quinoa Pancakes
Makes 7 medium pancakes

1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup millk
1 tbsp vegetable oil (and more for cooking)
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used no-name's artificial, so if using a nice pure kind use 1/2 tsp)
1 egg

In a bowl mix both flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon together.
In a seperated bowl whisk milk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and egg. Pour into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
Heat a griddle or pan over medium heat ( you can turn it down if it burns your pancakes before it even cooks) and lightly coat it with some oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan for the pancakes. Cook until bubbles form at the edges and a couple bubbles appear in the middle but do not pop, the pancakes don't bubble much compared to the old fashioned buttermilk kind. Flip and cook on the other side for 1 minute or 2 until golden brown.
Serve with warm maple syrup or what I had it with today .. Microwaved frozen berries with a splash of maple syrup!



I only had 2 pancakes but they were really filling. Of course I added more berries and berry juice to the pancakes when I ate them, I just didn't feel like soaking the pancakes with berry juice for the photos.

Comments

Popular Posts