In the past week, I've made seven loaves of bread. A few raisin studded challah and flakey buttery brioche. Challah was soft and sponge like the first day but as it aged it became more dense. That didn't create a major problem, all that was need was some slicing, dipping in an egg mixture, pan fried and served with maple syrup. Challah french toast = amazing, since the bread soaked up my eggs-yogurt-milk-cinnamon combination.
The brioche on the other hand were given out to people at church and given as a snack for the kids in the NW Ministry. Hopefully they enjoyed it =)

After all the loaves of bread, I really wanted a challenge. I wanted to make something incredibly good for a friend's birthday. I didn't know what to get her, but knowing that she loved cinnamon buns and enjoyed the buttery brioche with her father... I could make cinnamon croissants!
I didn't make as many cinnamon croissants as I'd hoped but the couple I gave her should be excellent. OH NO! I just realized that a drizzle of cream cheese icing would of made the cinnamon croissants a blast of extreme epic-ness, and sorry that it came as a belated present. (cream cheese frosting. mmmmmm. oh man, the girls on tuesday... we had an intense conversation about how cream cheese frosting was our weakness on cinnamon buns.) 


I knead the dough yesterday. Sandwiched whacked... pounded.. rolled out butter in the dough. And rolled the dough out into layers of butter and dough sandwiches. I believe it's called laminating the butter, as it's encased between dough layers. As I was folding, rolling, and layering, I got carried away. I created too many folds. I was terrified that the croissants wouldn't be airy and flakey because there wasn't enough butter squished in the middle. According to a website, a croissant could loose its lightness by too many laminations. 
Many of the online recipes only have 81- 82 layers of the buttery goodness because of their 1x3x3x3x3 folds. I believe I had 1x3x3x3x3x3x3? folds because it was so fun folding and rolling. Thank goodness it still turned out alright.

I wrapped the dough and left it in the freezer overnight. 

This morning, I took the dough out from the freezer to defrost. It took it about an hour before it was workable. I rolled it out and cut triangles! It was fun.


As you can see from the picture above, I had two croissants with cinnamon filling.
After cutting the dough into triangles I brushed it with melted butter and sprinkled a mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar and a few raisins before rolling it up.


I let it sit for a few hours but it didn't rise. Oh well I was able to get some important school stuff worked out. I was supposed to work today but I had to sort out some program issues and silly online account problems. =( grrrrr.


My finished project! yay! Belated-Birthday Girl, I hoped you enjoy it as an after-school snack with some hot tea on such a rainy gloomy day.
 Dear brother, don't worry, I'll bake you some tomorrow morning... maybe. ^^

Oh and I used the recipe from An Edible Mosaic. Easy and simple to follow =)

Comments

Popular Posts