Engagement


[I wanted to share a post I had sitting in my drafts for the past couple years.. Reading it made me relive that day again which made my day at work pass by amazingly]

2017 has started off so incredibly well, I didn't think anything would make it even better so soon! Saturday, February 4th was such a special day; my incredible man asked me to marry him. And guess what my answer was? Oh you got it, it was a definite "YES!" It's not surprising at all is it? He already has my heart.

With all the slip ups and the emails I apparently could have seen, I was oblivious that it would happen so soon. He had mentioned he wanted us to be engaged early this year, however I just understood that as it would be before the summer. His mother accidentally said that he'd already bought the ring but he said he didn't immediately afterwards, so I just assumed he was just shopping for it. His email was opened on the screen when we were working on a guest list, but since I'm blind as a bat I didn't even see anything that might of incriminated him! 

We've been talking about marriage for quite a while now. We've taken marriage counselling and finance workshops. We started a guest list, made a budget, and were looking into venues. We had the chats with the parentals. So when the day started it just seemed like a regular day with no fancy frills. Our friends were moving to their new house so we started the day early by helping them move boxes and furniture from their apartment to the truck. It was hot and sweaty business in its nature - nothing sexy about it at all. We left early for our appointment to check out the zoo venue.

After being asked when we got engaged by the events coordinator at the zoo and telling her we were not engaged quite yet but planning early, we went and wandered around the zoo to ooh and ahh over the few baby animals. While walking around he tested the one knee thing at the zoo when he was tying his shoe laces. "Will you wait for me as I tie my shoes?" and then the same with the other side. Not even suspecting anything odd I just laughed and said I would wait for him. Side note: we got to see the red panda cubs play chase around their exhibit. They were sooooo adorable! Tumbling around in the snow and pulling on each other's tails.

It was FREEZING out so we decided to call it a day at the Zoo. I really wanted to go for a hot chocolate with the YYC Hot Chocolate Fest. But unable to decide on where to go we went for some bubble tea and Chinese baos that look like tacos. Since the bubble tea place was close to a nice view point over the city, we took a detour in the Cresent Height area to catch some Pokemon where he suddenly pulled over and said he had to go to his trunk. I didn't think too much about it as I was staring at our phone screens trying to catch pokemon - he usually kicks the ice and snow off the mud flaps anyways so he probably was doing that. Also topping randomly to catch pokemon is totally normal. However when he returned with a bag for me which he said he got the present from EB games I didn't even know what to say - I don't game or collect things! At this point I still hadn't connect any dots, there were no suspicions at all... early Valentines gift probably. Inside was my favourite ugly cute Disney character! I thanked him of course while trying to figure out where I would put the present. However he was insistent that I open the box and take out the toy to check if the toy had any movable limbs. I was sure these figures weren't able to move but thought it would okay to entertain him. As I pulled out the toy I saw the ring taped to it! He pulled me out of the car, did the one knee bend thing in the snow, and asked the question...

Sigh, it feels surreal even though we've been prepping to get ready for marriage for a while now... I still can't stop smiling. I can't wait to start a new adventure with him!

Comments

Popular Posts